T8 fluorescent tube lights are popular in many homes and businesses. More and more homeowners and businesses updated T8 fluorescent light to LED.
Why Convert to LED?
- Save electricity bill. LED tube lights save over 50% on electricity bill.
- Low maintain cost. Lifespan of LED tube lights are much longer. High quality LED tube can get 5 years warranty. Besides, if you use ballast bypass solution, you do not change ballast either.
- Rebates make LED retrofit free or low product cost. LED tube light with DLC list can get rebates in many utility providers. Sometimes, rebates are higher that product cost. Click to check rebates of your local utility providers here.
- Eco-friendly. Fluorescent tube contains mercury, but LED tube is absolutely eco-friendly.
How to Convert My 4ft Fluorescent Tube to LED?
There are different methods to convert to LED. Initial cost and maintain cost are different.
- Type A LED Tube – Plug and Play (Compatible with Ballast)
Type A LED tube lights is compatible with ballast. It’s plug and play. However, product cost and maintain cost is higher. Ballast compatibility may be a problem too.
2.Type B LED Tube – Ballast Bypass
Type B LED tube can install directly on T8 fluorescent light fixtures. However, ballast need to be removed before installation. There are two kinds of type B LED tube, which are single ended power and double ended power LED tube. Single ended power LED tube need rewire, but it’s cheaper. Double ended power LED tube can work directly on fluorescent light fixture after remove ballast.
3.Type C LED Tube – External driver
Type C LED tube comes with external driver, which provides more flexible installation. However, product cost is much higher.
LED Tube Types Comparison
|Type A(Plug and Play)||Type B(Single Power)||Type B (Double Power)||Type C (External Driver)|
|Other||Ballast compatibility |
and slight increase in energy use
|/||/||Not recommend due to high product cost and installation cost|
So, you can make a decision which LED tube types are best for your projects.
After your new LED tubes arrive, you can begin installation. If you want to install by yourself, please read article how to install T8 LED tube lights. Please kindly note that LED retrofits can be dangerous since you’re working with electricity. We will provide installation guide for different LED tube type soon.